Considered as the Peruvian capital of folklore, it is one of the most important and historical destinations of Peru, its geography makes it a place of great importance, the great Lake Titicaca hosts an important amount of floating islands inhabited by the Uros ethnic group, annually they are visited by researchers and tourists.
The essence of this place is very special due to the cultural manifestations that are carried out, the religion, the art, the customs, the folklore have a quite broad and influential roots in the whole region of the Andes from the south.
Ethnic groups like the Aymaras maintain many of their customs until today, their native language, the Aymara is considered a World Heritage Site because of the importance and impact that it had throughout ancient and modern history.
- The altitude is 3,827 meters or 12,555 feets above the sea level.
- The weather is cold and dry.
- Max. Temperature: 15°C or 59°F
- Min. Temperature: 1°C or 33.8°F
- The best time to travel is from March to October.
- The main festivity is La Candelaria on February 2nd.
- The rainy season is from December to April.
- How to get to Puno:
By plane to the International Airport Inca Manco Capac (JUL), the travel time from Cusco is 50 minutes. From Juliaca to Puno is 1 hour by car.
By bus, the travel time from Cusco is 7 hours.